The year is 1943. The Wehrmacht has begun Operation Hawk in an attempt to capture Kharkov with its steel claws. The SS Division Totenkopf has moved forward to crush the Soviet tank forces, but the Red Army has held the line, digging in and putting up a fierce resistance. In response, German tank armies have renewed their offensive with Operation Panther, and Soviet tank crews are now finding themselves severely outnumbered.
Want to step into the role of a commander in the very heart of Kharkov's defense? You'll have everything the officers had back then: tanks, guns, and fearless soldiers. The success of each opposing force hangs in the balance every day. Your decisions will etermine who wins the Battle of Kharkov.
- High replayability and flexible AI: "smart" AI analyzes the players tactical movements and chooses the best strategy based on behavior rather than a script. Scenarios can be replayed using different tactics, as though playing against a human opponent.
- Painstaking reconstruction of Kharko in scope and size.
- Detailed recreation of weapons, artillery, and vehicles: all battle characteristics, including missile trajectories and crew numbers, have been modelled according to archived military records and WW2 chronicles.
- Dynamic day, night and weather effects, all of which affect combat through terrain traversability, battlefield visibility, hidden force capabilities, and more.
- Destructible environment: nearly everything can be blasted and destroyed, from ground terrain to houses and enemy defenses. All traces of previous battles (shell holes, broken vehicles, corpses, etc.) remain on the battlefield.
There are two campaigns available, the first, controlling the Red Army, revolves around the Soviet mobilization in February, and the last, controlling the German Heer (army), features objectives of the offensive. All action is modeled after historical events, and the goal of the missions is not to obliterate the enemy, but to seize and hold strategical locations. Following the same spirit, there is no resource gathering, the player must use reasonable tactics to overwhelm the enemy, as the AI tries to respond the player maneuvers. There are no scripted events.